Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Dog Chews


What can you do on a Sunday night after you had to leave your dogs alone all day and its been pouring rain so the dogs can't go outside anyway?  Make them homemade sweet potato chews!  These are an excellent, healthy alternative to rawhides.  I used to buy my dogs "veggie rawhides" made out of sweet potatoes and they cost about $10 for a 1 pound package.  I did some price checking and I couldn't believe that a 2 pound bag of sweet potatoes only cost $1.69 at the local grocery store.  Clearly, I am saving a lot by making Buddy and Ellie homemade sweet potato chews.  As you can see below, they loved them and I feel good when I know Buddy and Ellie can enjoy a healthy treat!


Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Wash sweet potatoes.


Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise about ¼ inch thick.  Place on a baking sheet. 


Bake for 3 hours.  Turn slices about halfway through baking.

Cool on wire racks after baking.


Store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 4 months.



Please let me know if you make these too and if your dogs enjoyed it as much as mine did!